If you're a gaming nerd, computer monitors will make a vital part of your badass gaming setup. The same applies if you're an audiophile and want to create music or other audio data files. So, you might be wondering whether you'll need to get extra audio output devices or do monitors have speakers that are built-in?
Generally, monitors come in two basic categories; monitors with built-in speakers and monitors without. So, if you happen to get one without, you can play sound using an external audio output device instead. Monitors with no inbuilt speakers will have external output ports such as ports H/P (headphones), HDMI ports, or DP-IN (display ports) with which you can connect to your desired audio device. Playback devices include; wireless speakers or headphones. Also, you can use an audio connection jack such as the HDMI connection to carry audio from the audio source to your soundbars for a complete home theater system.
You'll also need to determine which external speakers are compatible with your monitors. You can do this by checking its HDMI ports support, type of headphone jack, and whether you have a sound card installed or updated sound driver installed on your computer monitor. As tempting as those gaming speakers and soundbars for immersive sound output maybe, a lot of people will need time to set up their gaming hub, so it might not be as feasible to get everything at once. This is where integrated speakers come in.
- Monitors With Inbuilt Speakers
- How To Play Sounds Through Your Monitor?
- Do Gaming Monitors Have Speakers?
- What To Consider When Buying The Best Monitor With Speakers?
Monitors With Inbuilt Speakers
For computer monitors to play music or any audio file, it will need builtin speakers. Most monitors will come with internal speakers for playing sound. Most of these monitor speakers have audio settings and volume that will suffice for corporate purposes, so you won’t need to connect your external speakers. Additionally, it's a compact, affordable, and easy-to-use option for your standard audio output.
However, for times when you'll be hosting a large audience, like when having a party or in a larger space, builtin speakers might not suffice to play sound. You’ll need external speakers to ensure that your audience can hear and experience your audio channels.
How To Play Sounds Through Your Monitor?
The answer to, “Do monitors have speakers?” is a profound yes- mostly! Most monitors come with builtin speakers and won't need the setting up external speakers. Here are some common ways to play sound through the monitors.
DisplayPort allows both audio connections and can carry video signals. It can also carry a USB and was originally developed to improve the limitations of VGA, DVI, and FDP-Link connections. To play audio output channels through DisplayPort, you'll only need 3 components; a laptop/pc, an audio playback device, and a dual-cable adaptor. On the other hand, video signals will require an additional working graphics driver and video card.
B) HDMI Port
HDMI audio connection is one of the most common ways to enjoy sound and video playback on digital monitors. Unlike other analog audio connections, HDMI can transmit audio and uncompressed video data to HDMI-compatible devices such as a digital TV and audio device, compatible monitors and video projectors. HDMI allows you to enjoy the best quality in both audio and video data in whatever you are streaming.
You will need a good-quality HDMI cable to connect your monitor to the audio or video source. Additionally, always make sure that the cables are also well-connected to prevent issues such as audio discrepancies and resolution. Also, always check the volume icon to make sure that it’s not on mute or in the lowest setting before you you start playing your content.
On the other hand, if your monitor doesn't feature speakers, you can use the HDMI audio extractor that helps you connect to the audio source so you can play sound. You will also need external speakers with 3.5 mm audio connection jacks. These will always do the trick. The monitor has to have HDMI ports to do this since they support both audio and video signal.
C) Bluetooth Connection
Bluetooth connection is another way to play sound from your monitor without connecting anything to your audio input jack or using an audio cable such as the HDMI cable. Since most monitors have a Bluetooth feature that you can use to connect to a good wireless speaker or other wireless playback devices.
Do You Need A Monitor With Inbuilt Speakers?
Ultimately, whether you need speakers to come with your gaming monitor comes down to your individual preference and setup. If you already have one of the best PC gaming headsets or a good set of RGB computer speakers, then spending the extra money for a monitor that comes with inbuilt speakers might be a little unnecessary.
Most monitors come with headphone jacks that allow you to easily connect speakers, headphones or gaming headsets, regardless of whether it comes with the built-in speakers or not. However, in the scenario that your monitor doesn't come with the extra peripherals such as a gaming headset or a speaker, then it might be better to invest in a monitor that comes with speakers.
Are Monitor Speakers Any Good?
Whether or not monitor speakers that come with the monitor are any good comes down to the specific uses since the quality of audio output will vary. For instance, the ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ is an outstanding HDMI 2.1 monitor equipped with ASUS SonicMaster 10-watt stereo speakers. These monitor speakers produce such powerful audio output for immersive sound output.
On the other hand, some monitors are not built to really deliver so high in the sound department; pretty much how many 4K TVs don't really pack a punch as well. So, in short, some built-in monitor speakers are built to produce such high-quality audio output. But if you're actually going for something a little more on the budget pick category, the speakers are quite wanting.
Should You Get A Monitor With Inbuilt Speakers?
Honestly, this depends on whether you have good quality external sound devices and how important the audio is to your overall gaming experience. In the instance that you're playing competitively, you should absolutely get gaming headphones or speakers, even if your monitors come with speakers built-in.
This is the best way to ensure that you're getting the highest audio quality possible. If you're more of a casual gamer, you can always get away with just using the monitor's speakers, but it's also advisable to look into a great gaming soundbar.
Notable Monitors Recommendations With Built-in Speakers
If you want to get a monitor that's equipped with outstanding built-in speakers, here are a few notable mentions you could look into:
- ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ - 43-inch, 4K resolution, 144Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time
- 43-inch 4K (3840 x 2160) DSC gaming monitor with an ultra-fast 144Hz refresh rate
- Feature ELMB (1ms MPRT) and support FreeSync Premium Pro technology to eliminate screen...
- 4K at 120 Hz via HDMI 2.1 to make the most of the next gen consoles’ mind-blowing...
- GameFast Input Technology minimizes input lag and provides much faster motion delivery...
- High dynamic range (HDR) technology with DisplayHDR 1000 certification and 90% DCI-P3...
- AOC 27G2 27" Frameless Gaming IPS Monitor, FHD 1080P, 1ms 144Hz, NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible + Adaptive-Sync, Height Adjustable, 3-Year Zero Dead Pixel Guarantee, 144 Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time
- 27" AOC Gaming G2 Series monitor with 1920 x 1080 Full HD (1080P) resolution IPS panel
- Rapid 1ms response (MPRT) and 144Hz refresh rate with NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatibility +...
- 3-Sided frameless design with IPS panel for wide viewing angles and brilliant colors
- Height adjustable stand AOC low Blue mode and flickers for wellbeing during extended...
- Re-spawned 3-year zero-bright-dot 3-year advance replacement 1-year (one-time) accidental...
- BenQ MOBIUZ EX2510S 24.5-inch, 1080p gaming monitor with IPS, 165Hz refresh rate, 1ms response time | FreeSync Premium | HDRi optimization| Dual 2.5W Speakers | Eye-Care & Height/Tilt Adjustable StandBenQ MOBIUZ EX2510S
- 24.5" GAMING MONITOR: 165Hz refresh rate 1ms MPRT IPS gaming monitor with 1920 x 1080 Full...
- IMAGE OPTIMIZATION: BenQ HDRi technology, Light Tuner and Black eQualizer help optimize...
- CONVENIENCE & CONTROL: 5-Way Navigator, Scenario Mapping, and Gaming Quick OSD for easy...
- COMFORT & CONNECTIVITY: Height/tilt adjustability and eye-care, HDMI and Display Port...
- SUPERIOR SOUND: Two 2.5W built-in speakers plus DSP (digital signal processor) chip with...
Do Gaming Monitors Have Speakers?
Suppose you're probably considering gaming monitors and wondering whether gaming monitors have speakers. Yes. Actually, a lot of these monitors come with their in-built speakers integrated into them. These speakers also come with speakers that are powerful enough to deliver rich, crisp audio.
Ultimately, it enhances your overall gameplay. However, not all these monitors come with speakers since most gamers play most of their games using headsets. The quality of these monitors is usually quite good and comes in such a variety you can choose from. It might be a little challenging to pick the right one if you really don’t know what feature to look for.
Pros and Cons Of Using Monitors With Speakers
How To Play sound From A Monitor With No Speakers?
Now, in the case where your monitors do not come with in-built speakers, it's no problem. To get your monitor to play whatever sound, you can connect it to your wireless speakers. Alternatively, you can also connect the monitor to your external audio speakers using a 3.5mm cable or an audio jack. With either option, once you connect, you'll be able to hear audio from your external speaker.
Do Monitors With Built-in Speakers Come With A SoundCard?
In this day and age, monitors that are in the latest release come with built-in speakers in them. However, it's optional for them also to include a sound card. Sound cards are used to create a high-quality sound output. You can also find these sound cards in your home theatre sound system or one of your dedicated speakers.
Note that producing sound on your monitor does not really require a sound card. Generally, a sound card provides such high-quality audio by converting digital sound into analog signals. Ultimately, this is one way to produce a great sound.
What To Consider When Buying The Best Monitor With Speakers?
A) Performance And Display
One way to do this is to go for high-performance monitors. For instance, you can go for the best monitor with speakers, which comes with:
- A minimum Full HD resolution of 1920 x 1080p. This level of resolution delivers a steady 16.7 million color palette, that's pretty great, especially if you're going to watch a movie or gaming.
- Also, check for a refresh rate that's at 75Hz or higher
- An AMD Freesync and NVidia G Sync support, This feature gives optimized image refresh rates, which therefore eliminates the stuttering and the tearing
- Also, don’t forget to check for a healthy color scale coverage, advisable at 90% and above for the Adobe RGB and sRGB. These are two of the most widely used color schemes.
B) Ergonomics For Comfort
Ergonomics equals comfort, which you should get even with a budget monitor. Always lookout for the best monitor with speakers that carries a healthy swivel, height adjustment, tilt, and pivot options. Especially if it has a 90 ° pivoting, this helps convert the monitor to the Portrait mode if you need to do any vertical scrolling.
C) Number Of Ports
Always look for the best monitor with speakers that comes with at least a built-in HDMI, USB hub, VGA, and DisplayPort.